Thursday, November 8, 2012

House Republican Majority Caucus Elects Leadership

OKLAHOMA CITY – Two days after the election that gave Republicans a historic 72-29 seat control in the Oklahoma House of Representatives, the House Republican caucus today elected its leadership and re-affirmed state Rep. T.W. Shannon as their choice for House Speaker-elect.

Speaker-elect T.W. Shannon
R-Lawton
Speaker-elect Shannon is only the sixth Republican speaker in state history.

“I am truly honored and, frankly, humbled by the support of my colleagues,” said Shannon, R-Lawton, who ran unopposed for the position. “We face many challenges in the upcoming session, but I view challenges as opportunities to lead and make our state better for every Oklahoman.

“Our nation is at a tipping point, and I truly believe Oklahoma can be a light for the rest of the nation to follow. Leaders in Washington, D.C. have proven they are incapable of leading. We have the will to get things done, and I am ready to collaborate with the entire House body to develop a conservative, free-market, limited-government agenda that will create strong, prosperous families and grow our economy.”

The Republican caucus also elected several top leadership positions today and voted on proposed caucus rules.

In addition to electing Shannon, the caucus chose state Rep. Mike Jackson as Speaker Pro Tempore-elect.

“I am looking forward to working with Speaker-elect Shannon and the members of the caucus,” said Jackson, R-Enid. “It is a privilege to serve the members, and I feel like 2013 is going to be a great year for the people of Oklahoma.”

State Rep. Weldon Watson, R-Tulsa, who also ran unopposed, was chosen as Caucus Chairman.

"It has been a privilege to serve the caucus as Chairman during the past two years, and I am honored to continue serving," said Watson. "Our caucus has continued to grow. We have a great opportunity to govern and I am excited about the potential we have to make a difference for the future of Oklahoma."

Other elected leadership positions include:


  • Vice Caucus Chairman, state Rep. Harold Wright, R-Weatherford, who ran unopposed.
  • Caucus Secretary, state Rep. Elise Hall, R-Oklahoma City, who ran unopposed.
  • Assistant Majority Floor Leader, state Rep. Lee Denney, R-Cushing.
  • Assistant Majority Floor Leader, state Rep. Charles Ortega, R-Altus.
  • Assistant Majority Floor Leader, state Rep. Randy McDaniel, R-Oklahoma City.
  • Assistant Majority Whip, state Rep. Mike Sanders, R-Kingfisher.
  • Assistant Majority Whip, state Rep. Steve Vaughan, R-Ponca City.
  • Assistant Majority Whip, state Rep. Todd Russ, R-Cordell.
  • Assistant Majority Whip, state Rep. Sean Roberts, Hominy.


"I'm humbled that my colleagues feel I have good judgment and trust me to do the job," said Wright, who was elected for a second term. "I always look at this position as a way to serve the members, much like I serve my own constituents. Serving the caucus can be a thankless job sometimes, but it is vitally important if you are going to build coalitions that get the people's work done."

"I am very honored to be elected by my fellow representatives to a position of leadership," said Hall. "We have a great opportunity to enact truly conservative policies during the next two years and I plan on working as hard as I can to repay my colleagues for their support."

During the next several weeks Speaker-elect Shannon will announce additional appointed leadership positions.

On Wednesday, November 14 at 11:00 a.m., the newly elected members of the entire House will be sworn in at the Capitol. In early January, the full House will convene for an organizational day to formally elect House leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...