Tuesday, October 18, 2011

State Senator Andrew Rice Resigning Senate Seat

Oklahoma City - Today Sen. Andrew Rice, D-Oklahoma City, submitted letters to the Secretary of the Senate, President Pro Tempore Bingman, and Governor Fallin informing them that he is resigning his duties as State Senator effective Jan. 15th, 2012.
“I am supporting my wife in her pursuit of a career opportunity outside of the state of Oklahoma,” Rice said in a statement. “She has made immense sacrifices for me in her support of my political career and public service, and I am honored to be able to reciprocate that for her now.” 
The move would prevent Rice, currently the Democratic leader in the Senate, from completing his four year term, which ends in November, 2014. 
President Pro Tem Brian Bingman, R-Supulpa, today released a statement wishing Rice and his family well.
"Though we may not have always seen eye-to-eye on every issue, I have nothing but respect for Senator Rice and his service to the state of Oklahoma,” Bingman said. “He is compassionate, intellectually honest, and relentless in the defense of his constituents. I could not have asked for a better Senate colleague and Minority Leader counterpart.”
By law, Gov. Fallin will call a special election for Senate District 46 within 30 days of the effective date of resignation. The Senate Democratic Caucus will hold an internal election in the coming months to choose a new Senate Democratic Leader. 
“It has been an immense honor and privilege to serve the people of Senate District 46,” Rice said. “I will miss the many friendships that I have formed with colleagues on both sides of the aisle and the senate staff. We are sad that this change will take us away from Oklahoma, but this is the best decision for our family at this time.”
“I'm honored to count Andrew and his wife, Apple, as friends,” Bingman said. “I wish their family the very best as they embark on the next chapter in their lives."


This afternoon state Rep. Al McAffrey, D-Oklahoma City, announced his intentions to seek Senate District 46 in the special election.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...